If you’re planning a bathroom remodel, it pays to really think about the space you’ll use the most: The vanity, sink and mirror area. Making this “grooming station” as efficient as possible, with a place for everything and everything in its place, has the potential to get you organised once and for all. It can speed up your morning routine and make it easier to wind down and relax in the evening.
The more subtle, yet no less important, benefits? The potential to relieve and un-clutter your mind, offering a more positive start to the day—and maybe even a better night’s sleep.
Your first step in thinking about the perfect grooming space is the focal point, the vanity. This is where the action is—not to mention all your stuff.
If you’re working with a shared space, like a master bathroom, you’ll want to consider creating two separate grooming areas. While we’re not claiming it’s a silver bullet for harmonious cohabitation, this configuration does offer the most flexibility and can go a long way toward easing the typical tensions of sharing a space.
If you’re planning to replace your flooring, consider a furniture-leg style vanity—they’re a little more elegant in design and can make the room look a little more spacious. Or, consider a wall-mount vanity for a clean, modern look and easy cleaning underneath.
If you’re just replacing the vanity and keeping the existing floor, a toe-kick option is your best bet, because the vanity base goes all the way to the floor.
Storage is key
Getting all of those jars, bottles and boxes off your countertops is key to getting your bathroom de-cluttered and better organised. But you’ll want to have those important items close by, at your fingertips, so your morning routine goes smoothly. That’s why the most efficient vanities include the following features:
- Convenient in-drawer storage designed specifically for makeup and shaving accessories.
- In-door storage, including adjustable shelves and roll-out shelves, drawers, and appliance trays to keep everyday items organised and within easy reach.
- Electrical outlets mounted to the inside of the cabinet or a built-in electrical strip so you can store hot items out of sight without having to wait for them to cool. They can also keep electric toothbrushes off the counter until you’re ready to use them.
- Stackable storage and drawer dividers that can make your space work perfectly for you.
There’s a reason medicine cabinets have been a mainstay in bathrooms for decades: It’s convenient to have items you use every day—like medication, eye drops, and other personal-care items—handy and at eye-level. But medicine cabinets have definitely evolved. Here are some cool new features to consider:
- Medicine cabinets with a triple-mirror design—with mirrors on the front and back of the cabinet and the inside–allow you to see the sides and back of your head with ease. They’re also more convenient, allowing you simultaneous access to a mirror and the cabinet’s contents, so you open and close the cabinet only once while you groom.
- Separate locking compartments for privacy and to keep prescription medications out of reach of children.
- A sliding magnifying mirror that adjusts to your height and keeps your hands free.
- Adjustable shelves for easier organization. Glass shelves can make it easier to find what you need.
Medicine cabinets that are configured to open either from left or right for even greater convenience, which comes in handy in small bathrooms where space is tight.
Shine a light
Good lighting is definitely important for an efficient grooming space. But brightness is only one aspect of it. To avoid uneven illumination and unflattering shadows, make sure you have multiple light sources installed at different angles.
Use a combination of ambient and task lighting to help achieve a balanced light intensity. Select bulbs that emanate soft light from the middle of the colour spectrum, so you can correctly judge skin tone and colours.
Express your style
Along with practical matters like getting organised, you’ll also want to think about how your vanity will coordinate with the style, colours and finishes you’re envisioning for your bathroom, and what type of sink you’d like to integrate with it.
The good news: We offer a huge selection of vanity styles and finishes, sink tops in dozens of colours, and a host of hardware types to consider.
Visit the Kohler Next Generation Showroom at BAC, 9 Mill Creek Road, to find your style of bathroom.
Original article provided courtesy of Kohler; edited to fit the current format.